Atripla rash

Started taking Atripla August 23. On the 8th day, mild rashes started appearing, so I called my doctor's nurse to ask if I can get over the counter allergy pills. She suggested to observe it for another before taking any pill. Next day it was all over my body so I decided to visit the hospital to have it checked. My doctor wasn't around, so the nurse ordered some Diphenhydramine, which I took religiously every 6 hours. After a week, most have subsided but still with marks and until now after 10 days rashes are still all over my body. I often feel my ears are heating up (sooo red)and would still feel some rash get swollen and mildly itchy after that. Is this still a common side effect of Atripla? Thanks!

That sounds like a very impressive rash possibly due to efavirenz in the Atripla. Your case is worse than most of the rashes seen in the setting. I recommend an evaluation by your HIV provider focusing on persistence/extent of rash, involvement of eyes, mouth and other mucousal surfaces, and integrity of liver and other organ function. Fortunately most of the efavirenz related rashes do clear over several weeks but one has to be vigilant in handling more severe/persistent skin reactions. KH

Long term survivor (30 years) new diseases
Is this a kidney problem