Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how can I boost my testosterone naturally
Sep 7, 2011

long term survivor and in great health, all numbers great. Male, in very good shape, am on all the same meds I have been on for years, nothing added of any kind in the last 5 years or so, yet sex drive continues to plummet. Am in my mid 40's and really feel my drive and sensation should not be this low. Doc says my testosterone level is right in the middle, and is not low enough to start supplement. I just feel like i have the sex drive and sensation of someone 20 years older.. I hear about supplements like Tribulus terrestris can boost it, but if it did I would guess tons of folks would be singing its praises.. I am already very healthy in mind and body, plenty of sleep, all the normal things that might make it lower, how can i boost my drive without going on supplemental testosterone?

Response from Dr. Henry

I am not aware of any data that suggests that Tribulus terrestris is either safe or effective to boost testosterone levels in HIV+ patients on antiretroviral medications.

See below from Wikepedia:

The extract is claimed to increase the body's natural testosterone levels and thereby improve male sexual performance and help build muscle. Its supposed muscle-building potential was popularized by American IFBB bodybuilding champion Jeffrey Petermann in the early 1970s. However, T. terrestris has consistently failed to increase testosterone levels in controlled studies.[10][11][12] It has also failed to demonstrate strength-enhancing properties.[13]

Once testosterone is started even on a trial basis it may suppress exogenous (your own natural production) leading to smaller testicles and even lower levels of testosterone in the future (at least for a while) if the testosterone supplements are stopped. Large studies of the safety and effectiveness of testosterone in men are under way (large studies of hormone supplements in post-menopausal women found serious health concerns when used broadly leading to less use in the US even though there may be a clear qualitative benefit in many women)-we dont know what will happen long term (one recently published study found a higher rate of heart disease in men taking testosterone supplements). For many patients the only way to know if you would clearly benefit would be to try a trial of 3 months or so of testosterone to push levels to mid-high range normal and see how you do with that--the problem is partly that treatment often is indefinite with above mentioned concerns and lack of data about safety. KH

Previous
meningitis
Next
creatine interactions with retrovirals???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.