Joint pain - Osteopenia?

Hi Dr Henry,

I was diagnosed HIV+ last year with VL 170,000 and CD4 170. Started taking Atripla and my VL has been undetectable for 6 months, CD4 up to 450. I have been experiencing pain in my left hip, elbow and jaw. It feels like the bone itself is in pain ie the pain is right in the ball of the joint. I fractured my elbow this winter, and the pain feels similar. IS this something I should be worried about? I have an appointment early september with my specialist, can I wait til then to bring this up with her?

Hope you can help - your advice is always well received!

Kind Regards, DB

An evaluation of osteoporosis and aseptic necrosis of the hip would be worthwhile in the setting of the symptoms you describe and treated HIV infection. I would inform your doctors office about your concerns and discuss whether any studies (ie DEXA scan or hip or other X-rays) might be ordered prior to your Sept visit. KH

Quick question!
atrpla