Skin Rash/Bumps

Dr. Henry,

I have been on vacation in South Florida. I've gotten a nice tan from just the little time spent on the beach. I began getting these small crusty type bumps on my forearms and tiny red spots on my shins. Most wouldn't notice them unless you were really looking at them. I'm not on HIV meds yet as my CD4 has been around 700 with low vl. I'm 35. A family member who is a doctor said they were probably due to taking the bp med, Atenolol. He said bp meds can make people sensitive to the sun. I didn't know this, but researched it and it says to avoid too much sun exposure. Plus, since my diagnosis over 2 years ago, I had become depressed and really didn't get out in the sun much. So, this was the first time I had really gotten sun and a tan in a while.

Even knowing about the issue with Atenolol, I still wonder whether this is HIV related. I suppose it would be hard to tell, since the med can cause sensitivity. I've covered the areas when in the sun and they are going away.

HIV infection does not usually result to new UV light sensitivity though perhaps it may occur rarely. KH

worried affected sister
Side effects question