Switching meds because of elevated CPKs

Hi Dr. Henry, I have an issue I haven't seen addressed and would value your expertise. I am a 53-year-old male, who tested positive in 1985. I have been on these ARVs, in chronological order, starting in March 1996 (Saquinavir, AZT, 3TC, Crixivan, Sustiva, Truvada, Lexiva, Norvir, Reyataz. Currently on Truvada/Isentress. Numbers are OK, (CD4 1,184, viral load < 20). Problem is my CPKs have been elevated for some time, and are now more than 1,100. In the past, when I attempted to take statins for my lipids, they shot up to nearly 3,000 and caused me some marked problems. I halted the statins and they dropped down to less than 1,000, but never to the recommended level of <200. At the moment, I am having mild symptoms as a result of the CPKs, including muscle aches, weakness, and cramping. My doctor is looking for something to replace the Truvada, because he believes the Tenofovir in it may be the culprit. I haver never had a GART done, because I have been undetectable since 96. I did the test for Abacavir, and found out I cannot take it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Mark

Documented myopathy from Truvada is rare (sounds like CPK issue predated use of Isentress-is that correct?). Have you had a muscle biopsy done including a look at mitochondrial histology?? If you have a high level of mitochonddrial sensitivity to NRTI's then a switch off that class on a trial basis could be considered. A boosted protease inhibitor (such as daruanvir or atazanavir with ritonavir) and possibly miraviroc (can have a DNA based test done to look for CCR5 status) could be used on a trial basis (continuing the raltegravir) to see what happens to muscle aching, CPK, and HIV levels. Seeing a muscle expert may also be warranted to look for genetic or other rare conditions. KH

atripla rash, should I switch or wait for another week?
Thrush In Mouth