Lapse In Insurance with Atriple

Hello. I was on Atripla for a few years, but I quit my job and therefore no longer had health insurance. I have a new job, but there will be about a two month lapse in Atripla therapy. So, I won't be taking Atripla for approximately 2 months, nor under advisement of a physician. It was under the same umbrella company, so the same insurance will most likely be provided for my new job.

What should I be aware of, as far as insurance and medication is concerned? What is the best way stop taking Atipla considering I will probably be able to resume once my insurance becomes available again in two months.

Though often Atripla can be stopped cold turkey, there is concern about development of resistance in some significant minority of patients. You need to discuss with your HIV provider what options there are for stopping Atripla given your insurance situation, treatment history, and what drugs are available in your region. Often I would consider covering the 7-10 days after stopping Atripla with a boosted protease inhibitor in order to minimize chances for developing an efavirenz resistance mutation due to how long it can persist in the blood compared to other drugs in Atripla. KH

Anemia induced AZT
atripla rash, should I switch or wait for another week?