Red spotted itchy rash in arms trunk and painful itchy swollen feet

Dr. Keith Henry, MD, I have been with inflammation problem for over a year now. I take a isentress, ziagen, intelence, prezista, norvir and BP meds. My MD at Kaiser seems to think I have a side effect of one of these cocktail, but not sure which one. Small doses of prednisone2mgbid take the rash away, but when I stop the prednisone the rash always comes back. I tried benedryl and zertic but still rash itchy painful red spots with raised middle. I've screen for all SDI/SDT not that. Was wondering how long can I take the predinsone? Or will it screw up my immune system. Viral load undetectable/ 350TCells in May, 2011. I have take literally every HIV med, before this cocktail. Have you heard any body else with this type of condition. Nurse Doug...I used to be a patient of your's way back in 1987 in St Paul, Mn. Can't believe I made 50 years old this year.

Good to hear from you-as you note sorting out which drug is the main culprit possibly causing a rash can be difficult when on many meds (particularly if due to resistance you need to be on a complex HIV regimen). I strongly suggest seeing a dermatologist to determine if any other skin conditions is likely (other than a drug rash). Use of corticosteroids can cause problems long term such as osteoporosis, aseptic necrosis of the hip, and diabetes (I am not as much concerned about effect of low dose steroids on immune system) so you concern about indefinite use (though 2 mg BID prednisone is a very low dose)is justified. If the rash developed long after starting your current HIV regimen (ie >> 6 months) then drug rash seems less likely. Sulfa component of darunavir can cause rash somewhat more common in persons with preexisting sulfa allergy. Difficult to be more specific in complicated situations. KH

DHEA low & lower cd4
regarding hiv