Peripheral Neuropathy despite strong numbers?

Hi Dr, I'm 25 years old and have been taking Atripla for a little less than a year. Over the last 3 months I have developed a consistent,strange tingling sensation primarily in my hands and the soles of my feet, though my arms and legs are also affected. I also get random muscle twitches and spasms that are sometimes prolonged.

My VL is undetectable and my CD4 count is 1048. Do you think this is actually PN? Despite the annoying symptoms I can't say any of the sensations are actually painful.

I would appreciate any insight. Thank you! Frank

Treatment related peripheral neuropathy is uncommon with Atripla and also less common when the CD4 count is high (as yours is). That being said, it can and does happen though from the symptoms you describe HIV or ART-related peripheral neuropathy may not be the cause. Treatment related neuropathy almost always begins in the toes and moves up the feet/ankles before fingers/hands involved (certainly before arms and legs are involved). If I am uncertain as to cause of symptoms such as yours I often refer to a neurologist for careful diagnostic assessment/assistance. KH

going from truvada/sustiva to atripla
Falling CD4 count