Follow up on Sustiva allergic reaction

Thanks a lot for your answer, greatly appreciated. You recommended trying Nevirapine in place of Sustiva (Stocrin). Is it true that by switching and trying a number of drug combination every month or two would lead to an increased chance of viral mutation? Is this the case? I fear that by trying a lot of combination will make the virus mutate quicker? Or is this totally unfounded? Right now I am back on Isentress + Truvada again starting today 05/04/11 for a while based on my doctor's recommendation. Also, is there a length of time one should wait before trying another combination as long as your body is back from normal from the prior allergic reaction.

If I were to try Nevirapine, what side effect should I be watching out for. Skin rash again? (The rash from Atripla is horrendous I had to be given a corticosteroid shot + high dose Benadryl). I have no CNS from Atripla but the rash looks almost like Steven-Johnson syndrome. Really bad....Thanks a lot again, appreciated.

Switching HIV meds due to side effects and not virologic failure generally does not lead to development of resistance when done carefully under the supervision of an HIV specialist. Most patients who experienced a rash from efavirenz can tolerate nevirapine (watch for rash and liver problems) though caution is advised especially during the first months. KH

Possible Prezista Side Effect
HIV mutation K103N and Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension