great shape, big stomach

Hi Dr. Henry! I'm well toned and muscular with good proportions because I lift, run eat well, etc. I have always had low body fat. When I was a marathon runner in my late teens I was dunk tested at under 4% body fat. Over the years I've been around 9% to 11% depending on my activity level. As of today I have great abs. My problem is if I don't hold my abdomen in line with the rest of my body it sticks out like a bowling ball is in there. I have a great torso when I flex with good muscle tone. I'm not as lean as a model but well above average unless I don't hold my belly in place. I was guessing this might be because I played saxaphone throughout my childhood which may have caused the muscles down there to develop that way. Do you think it might be internal fat and how can I confirm what this is? Thank You Very Much!!

You dont discuss what your HIV status is and what your history of HIV treatment has been. Some HIV drugs have been associated with greater risk for increased intraabominal fat that others. An abdominal CT scan can determine the location of the fat (ie intraabominal versus subcutaneous fat). Treatment options for intra abdominal fat are inadequate (include diet, exercise, changing HIV meds, Egrifta-latter has to be injected and is very expensive with benefit reversing when stopped). KH

Genital Warts
Cystic Acne with no resolution