Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently infected - on meds and new diet
Apr 19, 2011

I was recently infected (October) by my b/f and found out in Jan. He has been positive for at least 7 years, although told me he was negative - That's a different story! I'm fairly pragmatic about this and I can do nothing about my own situation.

My T4 is over 1,000. Viral load was 400. I carefully selected my consultant who is a senior researcher and lecturer. There has recently been a trial in the UK giving recently infected meds - some for 24 weeks, others for 48. It appears that using meds for 24 weeks has a positive effect - the full results come out in June. As a result I started taking meds less than three months after being infected. My viral load went undetectable within a week; T4 increased to 1200. No side effects, so all good. Additionally I have changed my diet to include freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice as well as freshly squeezed pomegranate every day and Manuka honey +20. Alcohol intake has decreased as has caffeine and sugar. Other small amendments to my diet have included trying to eat more fish and drinking still (definitely not carbonated) water. There appears to be conflicting information all over the place on diet. Before I go and see a nutritionist, is there anywhere which gives a good analysis on the advantages of certain foods, and which ones are recommended to cut out? Many thanks

Response from Dr. Henry

I wish there were good data supporting the effect of a particular diet on improving control and outcomes of HIV infection (in the setting or resource wealthy countries assuming a decent baseline diet with no malnutrion) but there isn't. I look forward to hearing further details about the study you are volunteering for-bravo for your participation! KH

Previous
Truvada and Atazanavir combination
Next
cardiac problem because of Hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.