For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

sleep problems associated with sustiva

I am a 61 yr old male who has been on Atripla for 20 months. Besides HIV, I am coinfected with HCV. My viral load is undetectable, my CD4 count is around 500, and my liver enzymes are not highly elevated. I have been using marijuana at night to counteract the side effects of Sustiva dreams/waking up, but decided to quit the marijuana. My physician prescribed me Zoplicone 7.5mg. After reading about side effects on more than one web site, I have been reluctant to start using the sleeping pill as the sites claimed Zoplicone was addictive, should not be used for more than 10 days, and can aafect the liver. What is your opinion? Thank you.

Zoplicone is similar to Lunesta sold in US. There is concern about addictive/habitation problems if used on a long term basis. There may be a drug interaction between zoplicone and efavirenz possibly decreasing zoplicone levels/effectiveness. If you are having problems with sleep due to efavirenz after 20 months may want to have a discussion about switching HIV meds rather than adding another drug to manage a long term problem. If any reader is aware of a study looking at zoplicone and Atripla please post. KH

Urge to pee