HIV and Osteoporosis

Hi Dr Henry,

I am 64, HIV positive, andhave been taking Atripla for 4 years. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2000 and took actonel once a week. I threw the drug out after 3 months because of the difficulty in swallowing the pill. Now my internist wants me to go on once a month Boniva. I am doing very well on the Atripla-viral load less than 20 and CD4s ranging from 631 to 838. What is your professional opinion on this mix. My internist tells me that she does not want me to break a hip or suffer a compression fracture. Yet, I don't want to be a guinea pig. thank you for your input.

To truly assess bone status you should get a DEXA scan to determine your bone density. If you have significant osteopenia or osteoporosis then vitamin D and calcium supplements, exercise, stop smoking, exercise all are important components of skeletal and overall health. Often, severe bone mineral loss will with significant fracture risk is addressed by use of a drug in the biphosphonate family. There is a modest published record of safety and benefit of such drugs (such as alendronate) in the setting of treated HIV infection so I do use them in patients with osteoporosis. Boniva to my knowledge has not been studied much but I would expect similar benefit to the better studied drugs in the family such as alendronate. The tenofovir in Atripa may for a subset of patients contribute to further mild bone mineral loss. KH

Does Atripla causes Tinnitus?
toxicity of HIV meds vs. others