HIV+ & atripla & pregnancy

Hi doc, I am an HIV+ man (Infected in 2 years) who is not yet been under treatment. My VL is 1200 and CD4 around 470, which doesnt make it necessary for treatment yet. My wife and I would like to have a child and I am considering atripla now. Is it a safe way if I come under treatment in 6 months and then when viral undetectable intends for my wifes pregnancy? What are the chances that I infect my wife? Will Atripla not affect the sperm quality? Because I read that the active substances in Atripla alter the enzymes inside the cells and actually enzymes are involved in building DNA. Thanks

It should be safe for your to start Atripla with minimal impact on sperm quality or chances for successful insemination for most patients. Once you are undetectable then options on how to attempt a pregnancy need to be discussed with your HIV provider with your wife present. There are low, medium, and high cost approaches available (low cost would include timing of unprotected sex when wife is ovulating only while higher cost can include sperm washing, artificial insemination, and use of pre and or post sex prophlactic HIV meds). Most couples are able to safely conceive when carefully managed. KH

Getting closer to a hiv cure ???
switch from stocrin and truvada to atripla