This is continuation mail regarding PPTCT Option

Thanks you very much Doctor for your prompt response regarding PPTCT option!

Well, I would like to know future, if I start the medicine from the 2nd trimester. How long I have to take the meds and what about the feeding options? Shall I feed my child, is it SAFE? And I was wondering since my CD4 is more than 800 after child delivery shall I stop meds. It wouldn't be any resistance when I start again the medicine?

Please let me know soon as I am going to start the meds as I want my child be SAFE while delivery.

Thanks once again.

Archana

I would start meds soon. Stopping meds in also a complicated issue with no simple answer. If you tolerate the meds well then you may want to consider continuing the meds both for some modest health benefit for you and to minimize changes to transmit to a partner. If you are on a protease inhibitor based regimen then most often if the meds are stopped then resistance will not develop and the drugs would work fine if used in the future. If you are in western country with clean water and formula feeding then breast feeding is discouraged (since breast milk can transmit HIV). If you are determined to breast feed then it would be recommended that you continue your HIV meds at least while breastfeeding. KH

Good Doctor
do HIV meds adversely affect vein health or access? (HIV + hemophilia)