PPTCT Options

Dear Doctor,

I have just completed first trimester of my pregnancy. My viral load was little above 1000 before my pregnancy and CD4 820. At this stage what will be the best option I can take up to prevent the transmission to my baby. How far is WHO 2010 guidelines effective?

In our clinic at least we would usually initiate antiretroviral therapy in a situation such as yours at the start of the 2nd trimester with the goal to use a well tolerated and safe regimen and achieve a plasma HIA RNA level < level of detection for the remainder of the pregnancy and through delivery. We are most often using Truvada + ritonavir/atazanavir (with dose adjustment in third trimester and monitoring biirubin level carefully)but also use combinations of utilizing Epzicom, boosted darunavir, and occasionally utilizing Combivir or Kaletra. KH

fiance HIV negative after 3 years of unprotected sex
HIV Treatment & Lipodystrophy