|having a baby
Jan 9, 2011
can a hiv+ woman have a baby with an hiv- man through normal sex without infecting that man.
| Response from Dr. Henry
There are a number of approaches to decrease risk for an HIV+ female to have a child with an HIV- man without transmitting HIV to the male. The first key step is for the HIV+ woman to be on effective HIV treatment and achieve undetectable viral levels (that protects the fetus/child and the partner) Techniques for safe impregnation include judicious use of pre and/or post HIV prophylaxis for the male, use of the "turkey baster (syringe) " method, tracking ovulation cycles to have sex on when most fertile, in vitro fertiizaiton and others. Which approaches to use are often highly individualized after discussion with HIV and OB docs. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Genital Rubbing Worried I Have HIV
- Hair Loss After Breast Sucking Worried I Have HIV
- Herpes After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Scrotum After French Kissing Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.