Heart Disease on HAART
Dec 26, 2010
I have been on HAART for over 10 years with good results, CD4/893 and viral load undetectable. I have recently benn diagosed with periphial artery disease and placed on morphine to counter the pain which I had always attributed to periphial neuropthy which I have had for years. Is PAD a symptom of long term HIV infection? What is the progosis with this disease? Will the morphine prescription make me addidicted or does it not make any difference at this point?
Response from Dr. Henry
Atherosclerosis (narrowing of arteries) appears to be worse in HIV+ persons in general. Major risk factors for peripheral vascular disease include smoking, diabetes, and hypertension. Usually those risk factors are more more important that HIV or HIV medications. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- People From Which Age Group Are More Likely To Suffer From Opportunistic Infections
- Will Yeast Infection Cream Cure Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Can You Take To Prevent Current Genital Warts Breakouts?
- What Can Herpes Be Mistaken For?
- What Can Happen If Genital Herpes Is Left Untreated?
- What Are Your Chances Of Getting Herpes If You Have Sex With Someone That Has It?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.