Severe N/V after restarting Atripla

I have have AIDS since 1993. I have been on HAART since 2001. I was initially started on Sustiva and Truvada. These meds worked great for me and I have been undetectable for over 10 years. About 4 years ago my HIV doc changed me the the once daily dose of Atripla. I took it without any SE for over 3.5 years. In Sept, 2010, I was taking my regular meds and taking Atripla at night on an empty stomach before I went to bed. The next day, I became very sick to my stomach and had to run to the bathroom and vomited a lot. After I vomited that one time, the N/V seemed to improve and, for the most part, go away. I continued to take the Atripla every night and almost every morning, I had N/V. My doctor recommended I go off the Atripla briefly to see if that was what was making me so sick. I had no N/V for the month I was off the Atripla at all. During this whole time, I have also been on the exact same other meds, same doses for over 3.5 years. Nothing I was doing or taking was different. I started taking the Atripla again a few days ago, once again on my other regular meds and on an empty stomach. The very next day I was violently ill again. I tried for another 4 days, with the same results each time. Help, this makes no sense to me. Have you heard of anything like this happening with anyone else? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any help, Karen

I have only observed or heard of a few patients who suddenly seemed to become intolerant to Atripla. I couldnt tell if you switched to Sustiva/Truvada from the Atripla. If you did that and the symptoms cleared then you would be one of the rare patients who has an intolerance the the particular components used in Atripla that may differ slightly from the Truvada and Sustiva when used separately. If any reader has an a similar experience please post. KH

Experiencing HIV Treatment side-effect symptoms when not in treatment
Loss of strengh