Neuropathy, suddenly

Hello, I have been poz for about 15 years. Am currently on Kaletra, Ziagen, and Viread. In the past, I have had slight inklings of neuropathy, mostly in my feet. It has been very moderate, so I haven't done anything about it. However, last night in the middle of the night I had shooting pains that felt like pains/tingling shooting down the lower part of my legs into my feet. It was very severe, woke me out of a sound sleep. If this repeats, I will definitely see my hiv-doctor. I didn't take my meds right before bed, I take them about 2 1/2 hours before bedtime. One thing I am curious about is one new addition - Zoloft. I take that right before bed. Could the zoloft be part of the problem - maybe not the culprit, but contributes, or helps trigger this? Also, is it very normal for neuropathy to just pop up like that suddenly? The symptoms I've had previously have been very moderate.

I have not observed acute neuropathy with either Zoloft or your current HIV regimen (for your HIV regimen there is a low risk for peripheral neuropathy which usually begins slowly and involves the toes/feet before the legs). Restless leg syndrome, nerve compression, and other conditions can cause symptoms like you describe so evaluation by your HIV doc and possibly a neurologist would be recommended. KH

Kidney Damage; long term prognosis
Flex a Min