How do I handle

My mother was diagonsed with HIV over 20 years ago. I know she has AIDS now but I am not sure how long, it is at least 5 years. She keeps me out of the loop with most of her medical information until I accidentially find out by looking through some paperwork. When I as her questions lately she gets very deffensive. From Thanksgiving to about March she becomes very depressed and isolated. Lately she has been more forgetful and doesn't know what day it is. She says it is because she doesn't work and she doesn't need to know what day it is. I am worried it can mean something else. Plus when I speak to her she doesn't listen to me, she is speaking and asks questions but doesn't want to hear my answer then she quickly changes to a different subject. I am concerned that these could be side effects to having HIV & AIDS for over 20 years and I am not sure what I can do to help her. Any advise is appreciated.

I suggest asking her if you could accompany her to her next clinic visit to raise the concerns about her mental status/functioning with her HIV specialist. KH

Having a baby
Can a HIV patient get the lapband and will meds still work afterwards?