Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Managing folliculitis
Dec 2, 2010

I read through the postings here (including one of my own) regarding the problem of folliculitis. I have some more questions.

Recently, as far back as a few months, I experienced a very painful outbreak on my back. Antibiotics cleared it up, but since then (within the last 2 months or so) my physician put me on doxycyline, tetracycline and monocycline. The breakouts would eventually clear up, but would return after a day of stopping treatment.

It's worth noting here that my CD4s are in the 800's and my overall percentage is 34%, so I don't believe that's the issue.

Right now, my doc put me on 200mg of Diflucan, which I've actually used in the past to treat these more minor breakouts.

I eat right, am extremely clean, I wash the sheets (sanitize cycle!) regularly. My diet isn't clogged with sugars and carbs (though sometimes it is). I take good probiotic supplements.

My only guess at this point is the HIV medications I/we take disrupt the natural flora in our gut which causes this chain reaction.

The meds I'm on presently: Reyataz, Norvir, 3TC, Viread. Been on these for several years, and my viral load is undetectable.

How can I otherwise prevent these outbreaks? Diflucan really taxes the liver, which I'm well aware of - but it's safe for occasional use. You wouldn't want to use this too much, I'd imagine, as you'd end up with other problems.

Any advice would be appreciated. My doc is stumped!

Response from Dr. Henry

Has a diagnosis of seborrhea or eosinophilic folliculitis been made by a dermatologist? Often use of an antifungal shampoo (such as 2% ketoconazole) as a soap on a regular basis can be helpful. Checking for methicillin resistance staph often important use of active culture yogurt with your diet (to restore normal bacteria) can help select patients. In severe cases of eosinophilic folliculitis use of bursts of systemic corticosteroids, local steroids, isotretinoin, or phototherapy may be needed and of some benefit. KH

Previous
Atripla and depression, Been taking it for 10 months Just Stared?
Next
HIV AND BLOOD SUGAR

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.