Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv and 20 years
Nov 24, 2010

Hello, I was told in 1988 that I was hiv positive and have tried to live a healthy life. since that day I have not told the drs. and have not been on any meds . I have had my head in for physicals and everything has been good but never been tested again. I have now been told that I have diabetes and wonder if I should say Im hiv now? I never believed in the drugs and what I saw others going through so I have never wanted to deal with being positive.I guess it is a strange thing always if not broken don't try to fix it. What should I do at this point since I have to start dealing with the diabetes.

Response from Dr. Henry

Untreated HIV infection may increase risk for heart disease and cancer as well as typical AIDS-related problems.If you now have diabetes you may be at further increased risk for complications of diabetes with untreated HIV infection so I would recommend informing your provider to assess what if any role HIV may be playing in your health and future prognosis and whether one of the more user friendly newer HIV regimens might be a good fit for your situation. KH

Previous
SICK!
Next
FREQUENT URINATION

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.