treatment for side effects of tenofavir|+3TC and lopinavir with ritonavir

Dear dr. I was recently started 2nd line medication from indian govt.Started on 24/10/2010. i had severe side effects like nausea, vomiting,diarrohea because of lopinavir.here doctors stopped medication for 3 days and given the medication for controlling vomiting and loose motions.Again i strted after 3 days. Again i faced the same health problems and i my energy is going down. I would like to ask whether any treatment to control this side effect or i have to switch the medication. before starting 2nd line , my CD4 was 192 and Viral load is 13900. But till that time i never faced any OIs or any other infections. I perfectly alright.I have done master check up also before starting medication. But i have not seen and health problems before starting 2nd line ART.

Stomach side effects from lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra in US) are common particularly when starting meds. Often a variety of nausea or diarrhea meds need to be tried. Taking the meds with a meal and calcium supplements helps some patients. I would urge you to try to persist since often the stomach/gut seems to adapt to the meds over several weeks in many/most patients. KH

Itching
Safer Drugs for Prevention of mother to child transmission