Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

long term skin problem
Nov 8, 2010

I have had raised brown scaly areas on my face, groin, and trunk for many years. These areas are raised, some enclose a raised white area. Although most are deep brown, no regular boarder, grow slowly, only slightly raised, and look slightly similar to sun damage or age spots. This condition started when my t cells were low, 200 ppm, and before medication. I have seen two doctors, both dismissed it as sun damage, although, my groin, back, and trunk have never ever been exposed to sun. MY new doctor has prescribed ketoconazole cream, two percent, twice daily, over a year ago, with very little improvement. Since I am not insured, getting a skin scraping seems impossible...but the discoloured areas make me feel very marked. My t cells are now 585 ppm and detectable for ten years. Currently I am on a tripla, and doing well otherwise. Any ideas? I could gladly send a picture if that would help. again, while without insurance, it seems I have to find out for myself what this condition is.

Response from Dr. Henry

Making a proper diagnosis is key to treating skin conditions such as yours. If you are in the US you may want to find out if there is a local medical school or Ryan White funded program that offers dermatology consultation services. Many skin conditions might require use of even strong corticosteroids for a period of time or other interventions so a proper clinical and possibly histologic diagnosis is essential (may require skin biopsy for the latter). Skin problems are common in the general population and even more common in HIV+ persons. There are some centers that have HIV specialized dermatologists that may be worth a single consultative visit to try and make a proper diagnosis. KH

Previous
Skin rash (Iris reaction?)
Next
Missing one dose

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.