How uncomfortable do side effects have to be before you know you need a change?

Almost exactly 2 weeks after I started my first HIV treatment with Atripla I noticed a small rash on my arm. It wasnt anything big. The next morning the rash moved to both arms around my neck and chest and back, also my ears became swollen and hot to the touch. The next day after that with out any sign of things getting any better I decided to see my specialist. When I called for an appointment they said she that she was out of town. I asked to see anybody. The rash felt like a fever but I only had a temp of 98 degrees. It looked like a burn and my ear was so swollen red and still hot. The Dr. I saw (actually three came in) said I should try to use some Calamine lotion and continue to take my Zyrtec (I take for my allergies)and to call if it gets worse. I was unable to sleep for a second night due to the discomfort. The next morning I called and explained that I had gone two nights with no sleep, the rash spread to my nose and it began to swell and above my eyebrows also was red and puffy and my lips were tingling. This is all despite the fact that I continued with the Zyrtec and used the Calamine lotion throughout the day. I called and they advised me to not take any more. I saw a dermatologist the today and she asked to take pictures. (Oh by the way the only rash that did get better was my ears everything else just kept getting worse). She said yes that I needed to stay off of the Atripla (but shes a dermatologist) My question is really I have no idea how bad Bad has to before I needed to discontinue the Atripla. Ive only missed one night so far since they advised me to discontinue the Atripla, the dermatologist prescribed me Hyroxyzine and Methylprednisolone for the treatment of the rash, since not taking the Atripla last night the burning fever feeling is gone and the tingling lips has also gone but a terrible itch has taken over. Do these drug and Atripla work ok so that since I only missed one night so far of the Atripla I can go back on it, I so afraid of not taking it. My CD4 count before I started Atripla was 430 and my Specialist, who is out of town, said that it was really up to me if I wanted to start it I was still feeling well but that now they have started to think earlier is better. I have no point of reference or pictures or anything to show me just how bad Bad can be before I really should stop the Atripla. All I know is that I havent slept in two days, just in total misery with first the heat and now the itching and like I said my dermatologist requested to take pictures. Please if you can help me if its not too late to get back on the Atripla, my specialist's next available appointment that i made isnt for a month from now and Im sure that would be too long to start taking it again and give the virus a chance to mutate. Thanks Oh, and PS should I be concerned with the Methylprednisolone, I read it can supress your immune system?

You need to be seen by an HIV specialist to determine if you should switch to a different HIV med (ie switch the efavirenz to a boosted protease inhibitor or raltegravir) or perhaps stop HIV Meds (often would add a boosted protease inhibitor to protect the efavirenz and other meds from development of resistance). Your rash sounds impressive-if due to the efavirenz-usually can treat through the rash which usually gets better after 1-2 weeks. KH

Switching Meds
atripla and difficulty sleeping