Treatment change due to side effects

Hi Everyone and more importantly the Medical Expert, I have been HIV + for one and a half years and 6 months ago when my CD4 count went to 400, I asked my doctor to start treatment early. She agreed and I started with Atripla.. MY CD4 went to 540 and VL undetectable <40. But the side effects were too much to cope with - Triedness, Sickness ect. My Dr's decided to change to another combination, Ritonavir, Darunavir, Tenofovir and 3TC. Again my CD4 is over 600 and VL is undetectable <40 but I am still getting side effects. This time I am getting Dizziness, Headaches and Tingling in my fingers. Each day it seems to be getting worse and the headache is constant all day. I would like to ask if this is a normal side effect and also is it possible for some people are more likely to get side effects as they cant tolerate drugs as well as some people. I don't know weather to mention it again to my consultant or just live with the side effects. Thank you in advance. LT :-)

The goal for long term treatment is for patients to do well with few or no side effects while maintaining good blood test results. Thus, your current treatment is falling short of the goal. Those are not particularly common side effects from that regimen but do occur in some patients. Alternatives for the ritonavir/darunavir include nevirapine, maraviroc, boosted atazanavir, and raltegravir. An alternative for the tenofovir would be abacavir (if HLA B5701 negative) so many options are possible depending on your particular situation. Waiting for several months often worthwhile but if symptoms persist then looking for other explanation and/or considering a switch in meds merit discussion. KH

HIV medication and Erectile Dysfunction
allergic reaction