Current Life Expectancy?

I was diagnosed with HIV at the start of 1996 shortly after losing my virginity. I commenced medication after falling ill with TB menningitus in 2008 after which my viral load has become undetectable with a CD4 at 1475. During the time I was i hospital I found out that my final salary pension scheme of which I had been a member of since 1996 was closing. I had the option to continue but making a significant contribution or to convert to a reduced amount without any contributions beng made from my salary. After speaking to my HIV Dr I was told that current thinking of life epectancy was 30 years after starting retroviral medications.

Since this time I have been able to get access to more information and am hopeful of living much longer if I can ensure that I'm diciplined in taking my meds. My question is this : Has there been any studies on a likely life span or is it more of a case of 'how long is a piece of string?'

Many Thanks

Predicted life expectancy for HIV+ persons doing well on treatment (undetectable viral load, CD4 > 500) has in some studies nearly matched that of HIV negative controls. Life expectancy depends in many non-HIV factors including current age, genetics, other habits (cigarette smoking), other contitions (diabetes, hypertension for example), other infections (hepatitis C, HPV infection), so there is no one simple answer that is applicable to an individual patient. In addition, predictions of life expectancy are just that-predictions since effective HIV treatment has only been available for about 14 years so looking 20-50 years into the future is still guess work until more data/time has elapsed for observation. KH

Atripla and Diarrhea
HIV medication and Erectile Dysfunction