Can trizivir be the cause of my eczema?

Dear Doctor. I have been on meds since 1985,on trizivir for the last 8-9 years. My viral load is undetecktable and my CD count about 300. For the last 3 years I have suffered from eczema. My hiv doc. sent me to a dermatologist who put me cortison cream which helped in the beginning, but made my skin very thin. During a holiday in Thailand I suffered an acute infection and went to the hospital there. The doctor treated me with cortison and antibiotic injections which help, but they have to be repeated once a month and my GP is worried that I get to much cortison. My dermatologist believes that my hiv medicin is the most likely cause of my eczema, but my hiv doctor disagrees and will not put me on other meds. I would be grateful for your opinion.

Best regards Tom

Eczema (dry skin) is common in general population and more common in HIV + patients. Trizivir has not been linked to a much a higher risk for eczema though drug skin is occasionally connected to AZT or 3TC but I would not have a high level in confidence that simply switching meds would clearly and quickly improve skin problem but that could happen. A switch of an alternative regimen might be considered for other reasons as well (ie decrease risk for fat problems) so that discussion is worth having for a variety of reasons. KH

BLOOD IN MY STOOL
Cryptococcal Meningitis and HIV