Mental issues when dealing with HIV and treatment

Hi Dr. Henry

I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with poor numbers (CD4 78, CD4% 6) otui caleand this has SLOWLY rebounded (now 150/15%) with Atripla. Undetectable since the first bloodwork six weeks after I started and have stayed generally healthy. I say generally because I'm just "freaked out" all of the time...pardon that expression but it's the best way to describe it. My doctor says the aches/pains are anxiety related but she doesn't feel like I need anxiety meds. Fair enough. I'm on Bactrim and also Neurontin to deal with some foot tingling so I really don't want more pills if I can avoid it!

What's really bad is reading online...anal cancer, KS, lymphomas, PML, etc etc etc. I know it's good to be educated and I've tried to balance education with stepping away from the computer and not making myself crazy. But I have to admit that I get literally scared when reading this site and others. (Don't get me wrong: love the site and you guys are godsends, but it's still frightening 15 months later!)

Any suggestions other than a straightjacket? :-)

It is tough to try and be positive in many situations. The good news is that if your HIV levels are undetectable then you have achieved some level of significant protection from a wide variety of HIV related problems. Appropriate periodic assessment/screening for other potential complications as well as prophylaxis when needed (CD4 < 200) can protect health in a major way. Counseling might be indicated as well as exercise/working on hobbies/activities that can be refreshing for your mind/body. KH

HIV Meds interferring with Chemotherapy
Atripla + Naispan