Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help im 18 perinatally infected with lipodystrophy, looking for options
Sep 17, 2010

As stated in the title I was perinatally infected, was on a couple meds since I can remember, and diagnosed with AIDS in 2006. the meds I was on was Zerit Viracept Epivir Epzicom Sustiva combivir Viramune and Videx. I am currently taking Norvir Truvada and Reyataz since August 2008. I was refusing to take meds from 2005-2008, on and off due to the hope that the lipodystrophy would reverse, it dident. the current regimen i am on my doctor said it should prevent the lipodystrophy, but it is like nothing seems to help my current cd4 id 303 the highest its been during the whole time, i am UNDITECTABLE for a while like almost a yr and a half. My cd4 fluctuates often going from 211 to 274 to 197 to 274 to 213 to 303 this concerns me, does it mean so mething? The lipodystophy really hurts my self esteem due to the fact that i have very thin legs arms and NO buttocks. I have HUMONGOUS breasts and stomach, also a pretty large buffalo hump which my peers in school used to tease me about. i look at it every time i wear sleeveless shirts and it makes me uncomfortable. people ask me why my body is dysformed and i say due to meds. Is there any way that this can be reversed?????? I hate it and i want something that is not very expensive. I also have a scoliosis due to the fact. Is steroids a good idea?? how about fat rduction??? is this unhealthy i have very mild cholestorol like one point higher than it should be. Whats the best diet for me to have??? PLEASE HELP IM BEGGING YOU!!!! Than you so much for your time!!!!!! :)

Response from Dr. Henry

You express very well what can be a very challenging situation with unfortunately non easy, quick answers. Exercise, diet, hormone balance can help some. Plastic surgery interventions can help in some cases if available and paid for. Some interventions for excessive fat (such as growth hormone releasing factor) may be helpful in select situation. Corticosteroids would generally not be helpful. I wish I could be more directly helpful but we have patients we struggle with in our own clinic for whom answers/help has been elusive. KH

Previous
AIDS without medical treatment
Next
HIV PREVENTION THERAPY

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.