The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AIDS without medical treatment
Sep 17, 2010

My partner of two years has had full blown AIDS for over 3 years. He is refusing any form of treatment and he has already informed me that he has lived longer than he thought. I am trying my best to not inforce my own thoughts to his issue but I know if I will be here to support him I must remain strong and "aware" of whats going on. He tends to not tell me the whole picture of how he is feeling so I wont' worry. My question is, how long can he continue living this way? What signs should I look for? He already has MAJOR mood swings but I don't know if this is even related. I just don't want to come home to him "gone". I've looked all over for details of signs/symptoms that would give me a clue. This is hard enough for me to deal with but I feel I can not give up on him now. I just want to be prepared for what I'm in for. I also do not want to be held responsible for him refusing treatment and knowing about it and doing nothing. What or where should I look to prepare myself for what is to come? How much longer could I expect this to go on and how could I help him?

Response from Dr. Henry

Survival after development of clinical AIDS is quite variable from weeks/months to many years depending on many specific factors so no general answer can suffice. having your partner see a good, friendly HIV specialist and mental health therapist would be recommended to try and help out as much as possible. KH

Raltegravir- weight gain
Help im 18 perinatally infected with lipodystrophy, looking for options

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint