ED/Decreased libido

Dr. Henry, I've been HIV-infected since 1991. I am currently taking Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada, with a CD4 count in the 600s and undetectable viral load. I also take Androgel and Crestor. My question has to do with my libido and ED. For the past year or more, I have had a greatly decreased libido, and difficulty getting and/or maintaining an erection. I was hoping the Androgel would help, but it hasn't. Unfortunately, my insurance does not pay for "elective" medications like Viagra, Cialis and Levitra. Do you have any suggestions for me? Is there any other drug that might help me that my insurance will pay for? I also take daily supplements, exercise, and practice good nutrition. I'm only 44. I've had to give up so much due to HIV; I'm not ready to give up sex, too! Sincerely, James

Impotence and/or erectile dysfunction are common in the general population and more so in HIV+ males. An evaluation by an urologist or sex therapist may be useful. Vaccum tube, Cavernjet treatment, as well as the Viagra family of drugs all may help some patients. A trial of self paid Viagra or equivalent may be worth it (the good news is that can get 100 mg Viagra and then cut it into thirds or halves to stretch the $$ and observe for the enhanced effect since you are on protease inhibitors (need to dose low initially for safety concerns). KH

Atripla? or I have some problem?
Getting off Amitriptyline