WHEN will a cure for Lipo be found?

OK I have been reading the answers to the questions regarding lipodystrophy and lipoatrophy and I tend to get angry every time I do. I have spent approx. 10,000 dollars on Sculptra with no positive results (seems like the only result that is favorable is the initial first few days) and I have spent 5000 dollars to have cheek implants, which do help at the top of my cheek, but does nothing for the major part of the cheek and actually make my eyes look more sunken. Both times I have been assured by doctors that I would have a better looking appearance and both times I have been over-whelmingly disappointed and angered. I understand that most doctors are only looking out for themselves and their wallets, but why at the expense of vulnerable patients who are looking for a miracle? I also have to think that the meds are the only culprit and not age, sex, t-cell count, time with HIV, etc, etc, etc that you all keep telling us. Being HIV positive is already extremely hard on us as we have to live with the uncertainty of the disease, hoping our next blood work comes out as good as our last; we don't need false hope, given by these wallet-fishing doctors; we need results. Either find a cure for this Scarlett Letter or work to get insurance to pay for these procedures as they are a side-effect of the meds or take the culprit ingredients out of the meds.

BTW, the reason I believe that lipo is a result of the meds, and not from all of these other things you all keep saying, is because I have had 2 partners die from AIDS and both looked great prior to becoming sick with their final illnesses. Best, DT

Your posting captures the frustration that many patients experience about lipodystrophy (most often the fat loss) seen in the setting of HIV infection and its treatment. Fat loss problems are seen less often but still occur even with the new regimens. Efforts at effective management for fat loss have been inadequate particularly in cases where fat loss is severe. In US more insurance companies are covering for procedures to improve appearance but coverage is still spotty. I wish I had an easy or optimistic response for you regarding a forthcoming cure but recent mediocre or negative results from studies suggest unfortunately that nothing dramatic is around the corner. KH

detoxing with hiv meds
SUFFERING FROM COLD AND COUGH