Statistics on Cryptococcal Meningitis

Im wondering on the survival rate of Cryptococcal meningitis in the US. I was diagnosed with this and the doctors told my wife I had 24 hrs to live unless they started me on something. I remember collapsing but not much after that. It took 6 months from the onset of feeling poorly until my final collapse and hospitalization. I know the person next to me passed away from the same disease while I was in the hospital....after 3 weeks they let me out but my cognitive function is impaired, my doctor Dr Wohl of UNC said that it is much like a person having a stroke and dealing with the deficits....what is the long term prognosis of ever regaining normalcy or is this a lifelong impairment? Im wondering if there are any other LTS who have experienced Cryptococcal Meningitis at end stage Aids and survived? Thanx Dave

With effective treatment for the meningitis and good response to HIV treatment long term prognosis can be good. Status of neurologic recovery depends on level of brain damage that occurred. You are in good hands with Dr Wohl at UNC. We follow numerous pxs who experienced cryptococcal meningitis > decade ago and are now doing great. On the flip side some pxs still succumb to their initial episode of meningitis particularly when present very late so the range in outcomes is very broad. KH

Atripla Rash
sensitivity to light