Warfarin and Efavirenz

My dh, late 40's, is scheduled for hip surgery next week. He was dxed 2.5 years ago and started Atripla and became undetecatable within a few months.

He had pre-surgical testing and education and a medical clearance visit with a cardiologist. We were told he may be treated with Coumadin. I just read that the effect of Atripla (Efavirenz) on the Coumadin (warfarin) is unpredictable. However, when we told the cardiologist about HIV and the meds he takes, the cardiologist didn't say or ask anything.

I am feeling concerned/worried. I will try to speak to the ID tomorrow. Do you have any advice or additional information for me.

Thank you so much, Worried Wife

There is variable interaction between efavirenz and warfarin so more careful attention to coagulation status and HIV levels is recommended when those drugs are used together. Both HIV doc and coagulation nurse need to be informed when those drugs are used together (can be done but just with more caution than usual). KH

vomiting
GAS N ACIDITY