|Mother to child transmission
Aug 15, 2010
Dear Doc, Antiretroviral treatment options for HIV-infected pregnant women who are not eligible for treatment of her own? When do start the ARV medication for how long?
| Response from Dr. Henry
HIV+ pregnant women should start HIV treatment to minimize risks for vertical transmission independent of whether they otherwise meet treatment guidelines. In US, CD4 count < 500 is threshold for starting HIV meds with > 500 a consideration as well. If your CD4 count is > 500 then I often start HIV meds at the start of the 2nd trimester in order to achieve full suppression and help deal with any side effects of problems well before the time of delivery. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Tingling Lips Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Fever After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Drinking After Someone Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Tingling In Fingers After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.