Muscle spasms in legs- Due to HIV meds?

Dear Doctor I have been on Atripla for just over 1 year. Overthe past week or so I have been suffering from muscle spasms in my calves at irregular intervals. This does not happen after exercise so I am sure not a dehydration problem. Th eproblem is verty random. Th eother day aftr having sex I got up from the bed and got spasms in both calves at th same time. So bad that I could not stand and had to have my toes pushed towards me to help relieve the spasm. Thi stook some 5 minutes to totally remove the pain. The pain continue as a dull ache for the next couple of days. Best way I can describe is like a pulled muscle. Today I ad been sitting at my desk got up and suddenly the muscle in my left leg spasmsed. This is not the normal cramp but much worse. Would hope yu can suggest what it might be and any help in relieving these sypmtoms. My latest viral load was undetectable and CD4 was 450.

Atripla does not often cause significant peripheral neuropathy (can occasionally). Nerve compression or some form of vascular occlusion would be two fairly common causes of muscle spasms so a good clinical evaluation is indicated. Some hormonal or electrolyte abnormalities, restless leg syndrome, and many other conditions can contribute to muscle spasms so often not related to HIV infection or HIV meds. KH

Atripla and a couple of other things....
Time to switch?