Atripla and a couple of other things....

Hello Dr. and thank you for answering my questions... I was diagnosed almost 2 months ago and am in my third week of Atripla. Fortunately, I have had minimal side effects so far. In fact, I am only experiencing some minor hives on my arms, which respond well to benadryl. My CD4 was 267 and 187 on two recent tests, with a viral load of 23,000....no illness, no night sweats, no unexplained weight loss.

Here are my questions: 1. Is it true that the hives will probably subside after a week or two?

2. I have had some swollen lymph nodes (neck), which my doctors attribute to the HIV. Assuming I have a good response to Atripla, can I expect the lymph nodes to "disappear," and how long could this take?

This whole ordeal has made me into a bit of a hypochondriac.

Thanks again.

An efavirenz rash often takes 1-2 weeks to clear as you mention. Swollen lymph nodes are common in HIV infection. Evolution of the lymh node swelling after starting effective HIV treatment is quite variable with initial enlargement sometimes being seen often then with modest regression. If a node become very hard or large, red, sore then foten needs further work up. KH

rash and fever, on atripla + septrin
Muscle spasms in legs- Due to HIV meds?