rash and fever, on atripla + septrin

I have recently been diagnosed hiv+, as a late presenter. My CD4 is 170, VL 170000. I immediately started taking Sustiva + Truvada + Septrin as advised by my specialist. I have been taking the meds for 2 weeks now without any problems.

Yesterday I woke up with non itchy, red, pinpoint rash all over my chest, shoulders, arms and thighs, with mild fever. Today I still have the rash and developed a worse fever as well. Breathing is fine, and generally I feel ok. I went to a doctor who advised me to stop taking septrin, in the short term. I did not take my septrin dose yesterday but the symptoms have not improved.

Any ideas?

The rash you described is commonly due to the Septra or the efavirenz (Sustiva) which is why many clinicians generally avoid starting those meds at the same time. Efavirenz rash often takes 1-2 weeks to clear (same is try for the sulfa rash) so I am not surprised that rash is still there. Stopping the Septra and carefully observing is reasonable in many situations such as yours. KH

Problems Financially
Atripla and a couple of other things....