Atriple & Sexual Function?

Hi Dr., as someone who will be starting Atripla soon, I am very concerned about any impact it might have on my sexual prowess. I am 27 years old, and enjoy a fine libido and no "issues" with erections. Will this medication impact this? I have heard some horror stories about it making you impotent. Please clarify? Thanks!

Atripla has not been clearly linked to problems with sexual function nor have I observed an inordinate degree of problems compared to other regimen for patients in our clinic on Atripla. Sexual function problems are common in the general population and perhaps even more common in HIV+ persons due to a variety of factors (including high rates of low testosterone, depression/anxiety, use of other drugs, and many more factors). The CNS side effects of efavirenz can sometimes throw off sexual function and the concept of taking HIV meds also can throw off the psychology (mental) side of good sexual function (including concern about transmission to others) that can lead to problems in some patients but is not unique to Atripla. KH

vomiting after taking daily threatment
Soft Stools and Diarrhea for years on treatment