effects of lipoatrophy on the spine

Dr. Henry, I have extreme lipoatrophy of the buttox. It is painful to sit down. I have alot of back problems. I am wondering if there could be spine issues because there is no cushion or fat protection around the lower end of the spine into the butt. Is this leaving the nerves raw or muscle more vunrable? Could it be effecting the curvature of the spine? I have hypertrophy everywhere else. legs, shoulders,tongue. I am still awaiting a diagnoses on that. I am on combovir, truvada and reyataz my cd4 count is 1200 and vl undetectable. Thank you for your expertise.

Loss of buttock fat (and even buttock muscle in some cases due to AZT in Combivir) removes the usual cushion when sitting so patients more often develop nerve compression syndromes from sitting. You may want to discuss switching off the Combivir with your hIV doc depending on what other meds are available to you (access and treatment/resistance history considerations)-also most often ritonavir is used when atazanavir is used with tenofovir (in the Truvada). KH

Frequency of Side Effects
lipodystrophy and Cancer of the Fat tissue