PEP / Combivir Side Effects

Thank you again for this wonderful resource you provide.

One week ago, I had a protected encounter with a higher-risk person. HIV status unknown. Male-female (I'm the guy).

Within 22 hours I began Combivir BID for PEP.

I have had the following side effects. I know that many of them are "normal" with PEP, but I wanted to run the progression by you:

1. At first, absolutely no appetite. This is since improving.

2. Horrible nausea in the morning only, pre-dose. Nausea so horrible that it actually wake me up. This has improved *somewhat* and was actually better today (day 6).

3. Knee pain. Pretty severe, and constant. Very bad the first few days (last weekend). Still pretty bad.

4. Headache. Yesterday and today, days 5-6 of PEP with Combivir. Fairly bad headaches.

5. Stiff neck, one side only. Last evening just after dosing the Combivir and this morning. Although it is better this morning.

6. I thought I felt the *twinge* of a sore throat yesterday, just before the stiff neck.

Does this progression of side effects sound normal for Combivir?

Do I have anything to worry about regarding these side effects indicating HIV infection?

I know my case is lower risk, and, like many people that post here, borders on (or is full-blown) paranoia. But your insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Combivir can cause quick onset of many of those symptoms. The symptoms often will stabilize and improve over several weeks but for some are annoyingly persistent. They usually improve within days of stopping or switching to alternative drugs (such as Truvada). KH

longtime side effects of Epzicom - correction of previous email
Neuropathy