Interrupting My Treatment While Overseas...How Best to Do It?

I was diagnosed in 2003, currently taking Norvir/Truvada/Reyataz, 100% adherent, with long term undetectable viral load and last CD4 count in the 600s... Because of ADAP regulations, I can only get a "vacation" waiver of the 30-day refill policy that will last 90 days - I will be overseas doing field work for at least two weeks more. What is the best way to stretch my 90-days' supply? Should I alternate days? Stop taking it altogether when I run out? Thanks!

That is a fairly common and difficult issue. If you stop the meds the good news is that resistance rarely develops with that regimen though HIV would be expected to rebound with loss of CD4 cells after typically 2 weeks off treatment. There is no universal answer-I might be tempted to recommend skipping weekends for the last 6 weeks of your 90 day drug supply which would then give you 12 days of meds for the last 2 weeks reconnecting with your HIV provider promptly upon your return. KH

wicked dreams. Very vivid with truvada and efavirenz
Atripla and Degenerative Disc Disease