Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How Can We Name It?
May 14, 2010

In 1987 Dr. Jerry Cade of Nevada had told me he equated the progression of HIV to the progression of aging. He even went so far as to hint at how old I as a patient was in AIDS/Old Age Symptoms, 60yr this visit and so on. I tell my Dr's now What can you expect at my AIDS? I see the term inflammaging being used but it does not fit what it is to be OLD AIDS in fatigue, multiple side effects from years of tocsic medication, tests after tests, X-ray after X-ray, Humpectomy, and so on Can You Name OLD AIDS. Please?, So all the Drs can use the same clinical term. It was done for CFS once it became an excepted diagnosis. Thank You Darren

About me: I am 48yr old. I have had the HIV Virus since I had surgery in 1984. I was sent to the Mayo Clinic in 1984 after the man who sold his blood that was used for my surgery died of this strange pneumonia (PCP) and cancer (KS). My blood showed indications of this Immune Deficiency Syndrome as it was first termed. I go to a new Dr. and try to explain OLD AIDS and I hope there can be a term. (Old AIDS Syndrome, OAS maybe?)

Response from Dr. Henry

Interesting comments. The topic of aging and long term survival in the setting of HIV infection is a hot one in the field right now. There is no consensus on the matter or on terminology as your posting well notes. KKH

Previous
diarrhea
Next
overdose

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.