Isentress and sleepless nights

I recently switched my hiv regiman of Truvada, Reyataz, and Novir that I had been on for two years, to Isentress (twice a day) and Truvada. I switched to try to minimize the any lypo. This is my 12th day on isentress. All is fine other than sleep. I know that one of the side effects of isentress can be disrupted sleep. Since starting isentress, my sleep has been minimal, only getting about 4 hours of light sleep (normal with sleep aid is 7 to 8) then waking up and not being able to go back to sleep. Is this a temporary thing while my body adjust to the new med? I'm already taking lunesta nightly, but the isentress is trumping the sleep aid. Thanks

Good question. The natural history/evolution of sleep disturbances linked to raltegravir is not well described so difficult to state with any certainty what may happen in your case. I have had several patients report that the sleep problem persisted while others have noted improvement with time. After several months if still a major issue might merit sleep evaluation and or consideration of switching off the raltegravir if no other explanation forthcoming. If any reader knows of a reference on the matter please post. KH

the case of my son
Raising CD4 on Atripla