Blips vs. Regimen Failure

Had my first viral "blip" of 62 a month ago after 2 years of quarterly undetectable. Regimen is Truvada/Kaletra daily with an honest 100% adherence. (I track it daily on an Excel spreadsheet!).

While knowing a blip is not uncommon, I retested again a month later, now only at 64.

Question - the only thing that has changed is my regular physician put me on Lipitor with Infectious Disease MD's approval and an inability to tolerate Pravachol.

Could Lipitor be competing with processing Kaletra and thus less lower levels of the HAART meds in my bloodstream?

I'm not in panic mode, we're just trying to figure out what might be going on. The Lipitor is the only change in my daily situation I can think of besides stress. Not sure how many "blips" you can get in a row before it is considered treatment failure??

Thanks as always for the awesome information/forum this site provides!

It would be unusual (though remotely possible) for atorvastatin (Lipitor) to cause a drop in lopinavir levels that would result in loss of viral control. More likely is the chance recurrence of several blips (levels < 500) or a change in the assay/processing of the viral load sample. Might consider discussing with your HIV doc the possibility of getting a trough lopinavir level if blip is persistent and no other explanation found while making sure no doses of HIV meds are missed. KH

hiv+ and recent blackout
Lap Band and HIV positive