After Hip Replacement surgery and feeling ill.

Question to The Body of evening of Saturday, April 10, 2010, 9:52pm.

I had hip replacement surgery on March 3 2010. I am HIV positive and have had an AIDS diagnosis since October of 1994. I have been infected since approximately 1982. It is now 5 1/2 weeks after surgery and I still feel like I am coming down with something everyday. I also feel light headed, dizzy some times, I have lost weight about 16-18 lbs, I feel nauseas, a little more diarrhea than normal and just generally feel bad. Some days are good some bad. The doctors are not finding anything in blood tests, CAT scan of my sinuses and now I am going to the G.I. doctor. Here in Springfield Illinois there does not seem to be much experience with people with HIV. Any thoughts and or suggestions on what to pursue or consider.

After 2 1/2 years on Fuzeon, Prezista and Isentress my numbers are improving for the first time since 1994. CD4-590 and viral load is undetectable. I thought this would of been a good time to get the Hip replacement done.

Thank You, Bill Stibich

Hip replacement surgery is a big deal for any patient with lots of stress on the body and demands for recovery/rehabilitation. Often staying in a hospital or getting antibiotics can results in acquiring a gut infection (ie with C difficule) that can through off the GI system. Nutritional support, vitamine D and hormone suport if deficient (such as testosterone, thyroid, or cortisol), physicial rehabiliation, treatment for stress/depression, and addressing any other conditions (diabetes, cardiac) can all be important for recovery besides maintaining good control of HIV infection. KH

Atripla and Drug Screening
Atripla causing skin sensitivity to sunlight?