Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The kidneys
Apr 13, 2010

I was just reading a question to you about kidney issues. I was wondering what the signs of problems are. I've read one sign is if your urine gets really foamy.

I've only noticed my urine a little bit foamy when I first pee in the morning or when I'm dehydrated. It isn't a mountain of foam or anything--just a little foamy. I've also noticed my urine sometimes smells like cheerios. When I googled that, I read many people in the general public talking about their pee smelling like cheerios sometimes.

I'm just wondering if there is something that we should look for that would be an early sign. Would it be pain with urination? I've noticed on my CBC lab reports that my protein is always high. I was told HIVers usually have high protein on the CBC. Is this the same protein that you look for in urine to check the kidneys or is that something unrelated?

Response from Dr. Henry

Key indicators of kidney problems in the setting of HIV Infection include abnormal blood tests (increases in Creatinine and BUN levels and decrease in calculated GFR). Protein or glucose in the urine are also signs of problems. For many patients those abnormalities are not accompanied initially be symptoms so tracking blood and urine status is key. Urine quality/appearance can change from day to day based in hydration status, amount of exercise, food/dye intake , and many other factors so often difficult to make much from urine appearance day to day. KH

Previous
Vision problems and Fatigue
Next
HIV and the aorta

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.