thin skin and bleeding

My roommate and I both bleed easily and get big red blotches on our arms if we bump into anything...both long term controlled hiv, undectectable and 4-500 tcells. I notice that other people have posted this same problem and your answers are very vague saying more tests need to be done or it probably is unrelated to the drugs. Nobody has any answers but too many of us have this problem, it isn't the sun as we were told by a dermatologist because my other hiv negative peers are not having the same problem and they have enjoyed the same amount of sun. Everybody gives us the run around, when will somebody start to answer are questions about thinning skin and hiv disease, is it hiv or the drugs we take?

Thinning skin and easy bleeding/bruisability are fairly common problems in general population particularly with aging. Certain meds used to cause skin problems (indinavir comes to mind) but that has not been a feature of currently widely used drugs. Aspirin and other NSAISs (like ibuprofen) can cause easy bleeding in some patients. If you have an actual bleeding disorder than would be identified with coagulation and clotting tests (often a hematologist can be helfpul) if the skin seems unusually thin then a dermatology consult and possibly a skin biopsy can be done to confirm diagnosis and try to put a more specific label on the process. It is hard to be specific without examing the skin and in the absence of much recent data highlighting the problem--more attention needs to be paid to skin problems and aging in the setting of HIV. If any reader has a good reference please post. KH

Reyataz and issentress
Recently diagnosed HIV and T-Cell LGLL